Hotmail or Outlook.com is an ideal way to send and receive important documents from anyone around the world. However, this feature comes with certain limitations out of which one of the main limitations is the size of the email (including message and file or document) you can send through a single email. If you are looking for information about the file size limit in Hotmail, you can follow the information provided below.
Reason for File Size Limit in Hotmail
The limitation on file size in Hotmail or any other email services is mainly because of the security reason. If there would be no restriction on the email size limit in Hotmail, the email server would be at risk of getting flooded with large size emails, preventing from the email service to function uninterruptedly. And, this is the main reason that Hotmail poses a limitation for the size of the file that you can send to the recipient.
What If I Still Try to Send an Email With Exceeding Size?
If you will try to send an email which exceeds the maximum size limit of the recipient’s email provider, your emails are more likely to get undelivered along with an error notification in your email account. The error message which you will generally receive in such a case are:
- “552: Message size exceeds the maximum permitted”.
- “System Undeliverable, email size exceeds outgoing message size limit”.
- “Attachment size exceeds the allowed limit”.
- “The size of the email you are trying to send exceeds the global size limit of the server. The message was not sent; reduce the email size and try again”.
Maximum Email Size Limit for Hotmail
The maximum email size that you can send through your Hotmail account is 10 MB. So, if you wish to send an email using your Hotmail account, make sure it does not exceeds the 10 MB size.
How to Send a File Larger than 10 MB using Hotmail Account?
There is no way that you can send an email exceeding the 10 MB size using your Hotmail account. As Hotmail comes from the house of Microsoft, you can make use of OneDrive service to send a file larger than 10 MB size. Using OneDrive, you can easily send a file of up to 300GB size.
The Email Size is Well Within the Limit, However, I am Still Not Able to Send an Email from my Hotmail Account. Why?
Apart from the email size restriction, you should also consider following the below-mentioned suggestions:
- Hotmail restrict attachment of certain file extensions which include – .ade, .adp, .app, .asp, .bas, .bat, .cer, .chm, .cmd, .cnt, .cpl, .exe, .crt etc.
- Make sure that your Filename doesn’t contain any special characters.
- Make sure to scan your file before attaching it to your email in Hotmail account. A virus infected file might be restricted from getting attached to your email.
- Sometimes, your security programs such as Firewall or antivirus software can also prevent a file from getting attached in Hotmail. Try adding an exception for Hotmail to see if this fixes the problem.
So, this is what you need to know about the email size limit in Hotmail. if you are looking for any further assistance contact Hotmail customer service experts now.