Yahoo has made several changes and updates to its platform in recent times. These changes have not only been made in the interface and functionalities of Yahoo Mail but also in other applications such as Yahoo News, Yahoo Weather, Yahoo Search, Yahoo Sports etc. While Yahoo introduced several useful features and functions in its various applications, one of the most useful features is background notification, especially for emails. Background notification in Yahoo allows you to get notifications for all that is going on Yahoo applications installed on your device.
If you receive an email in your Yahoo Mail account and the application is not opened on your device, you will receive a notification from Yahoo that an email has been received in your account. Tapping on the notification will open the Yahoo Mail and take you directly to the email for which you received the notification. While this feature is quite useful but some users have reported issues with an unwanted notification popping up from Yahoo News application. If you have installed Yahoo Finance and News app on your Android phone and you are receiving unwanted notification from it, you can disable them by following the information provided below.
Guide to Turn Off Yahoo News Notification
- On your Android Phone, go to the Applications Menu, and tap on the Yahoo Finance application. As you will tap on this application, the application will be launched on your phone.
- Once the application gets launched on your phone, you will see the latest news related to finance and business displaying on the screen along with different application options.
- In the app, you will need to tap on the Menu bar icon located on the top-left corner of the screen. As you will tap on the menu bar icon, a menu will slide from the left on your screen.
- From the menu that appears on your screen, you will need to tap on the Notifications This will direct you to the Notifications setting of your app.
- In the Notification settings section, you will see multiple options to manage the Notifications settings of your app.
- Here, either you can simply turn off all the available options such as – Show notifications, Show app icon badges, Floating Notifications, Lock screen notifications, Allow Sound, Allow vibration, Allow using LED Light, Braking News, Custom Price Alerts, Earning Reminder, Portfolio/watchlist summary notifications, Price Alerts, General Notifications, Article Reminders, Account security Alerts, or you can turn off the notification options as per your requirement.
NOTE: While you can turn off each and every option in the Notification settings of your app, it is recommended to not to turn off Account security alerts for the application. This is important as turning off the option for the Account security alerts section will make your phone vulnerable to online threats.
Following the above-mentioned steps should help you stop notification from Yahoo News. If you are looking to prevent the notification from Yahoo News on your desktop, you can follow the instructions provided below.
NOTE: The following instructions are only for the Google Chrome web browser. Although Google Chrome (by default) alerts you whenever a website, application, or extension wants to send you a notification if you want you can change these settings in your browser by following these steps.
Steps to Allow or Block Notifications fro Yahoo News
If you are using a desktop and accessing Yahoo News through Google chrome web browser, you can follow these steps to prevent notifications from Yahoo News appearing on your desktop even when you have not opened the Yahoo News website.
- Open Google Chrome web browser on your computer and click on the More option (three vertical dots located on the top-right corner of the screen. Clicking on this option will open a drop-down menu on your screen.
- From the drop-down menu that appears on your screen, you will need to click on the Settings option. You will be directed to the settings section of your Chrome browser.
- On the Settings page of your Chrome browser, you will need to scroll down and click on the “Advanced” option located at the bottom of the page.
- Now in the Privacy and security section, you will need to click on the Site Settings option. This will expand the options present under Site Settings.
- In the Site Settings section, you will need to select the Notifications option. This will take you to the Notifications section where you will see different options available to manage notification.
- In the Notifications section, you will see the following three options:
- Ask before sending (recommended)
- Here, you will need to keep the “Ask before sending (recommended)” option turned ON. In the Block section, you will need to click on the Add button located next to it. This will open a small box on your screen prompting you to enter the URL of the website from which you do not want to receive a notification.
- So, enter the URL of Yahoo News (https://news.yahoo.com/) in the provided field on the box and click on the Add button.
- As you will click on the Add button, the URL of Yahoo News will be added to the blocked list of Notification. You will then not receive any notification from Yahoo News.
- In case you wish to receive notification from Yahoo News later, you can easily unblock the URL by clicking on the menu icon (three vertical dots) located next to the URL you blocked in the Notification settings. Then, from the drop-down menu, you will simply need to click on the Remove option. The URL of Yahoo News will be removed from the blocked list and you will be able to receive notification from Yahoo News again.
So, these are the instructions that you will need to follow in order to turn off notification from Yahoo News application on your phone and desktop.